The change in seasons means a change in the weather, the clothing you wear, AND a change in your beauty routine. Unlike the humid summer, a nice brisk autumn breeze means that your heat styling and makeup will actually stay in place – frizz and grease be gone! Revlon will keep your styles smooth and sleek all day long. Go bolder this fall with BROWFOOD and La Roche-Posay cosmetics. These makeup products will give you all the pigment and coverage you need.
Also, don’t forget that skin changes along with the seasons! Repair post-summer skin spots with La Roche-Posay Pigmentclar. And just because the sun isn’t blazing hot anymore, doesn’t mean skin doesn’t need year-round protection from it. Use La Roche-Posay Anthelios to shield your skin from those harmful UV rays that lead to skin-aging!
NEW! Revlon Smooth Brilliance Flat Iron ($59.99, Target, Walmart, Ulta, Amazon): The latest addition to the Revlon Perfect Heat® straightener collection is truly the best in its class! Designed with extra-long plates for more styling surface, as well as a 1” smooth floating plate for superior hair contact, hair is styled faster, for long-lasting, straighter styles. Quickly glide your way to frizz-control, smooth, and shiny styles
NEW! Revlon® Salon Straight Copper Smooth Flat Iron ($59.99, Target, Walmart, Ulta, Amazon): features long plates. The XL advanced copper plates provide superior heat transfer and durability, for smooth styles and long-lasting results. Infused with 3x advanced ceramic plate technology, hair will not only be straight, but also silky, shiny, and with less-frizz.
LASHFOOD Aqua Brow Powder + Pencil Duo ($25, Sephora): Formulated with Angelica Gigas Root Extract Serum and Rice Extract Serum help to rejuvenate brow follicles and strengthen and protect those follicles for visibly stronger looking brows. Available in shades Dark Blonde, Taupe, Brunette, Dark Brunette and Charcoal. Formulated without parabens, sulfates and Phthalates.
BROWFOOD TINTED BROW ENHANCING GELFIX ($24, Sephora) is a multitasking brush-on gel to define, thicken, tint, groom, condition, and hold brows perfectly in place instantly while providing long-term nourishing benefits. Receive a natural-looking finish with this brush-on gel, featuring thickening microfibers to create lush brows. Infused with a Nano-Peptide Complex, a powerful peptide blend to support brow rejuvenation, the lightweight, flexible formula locks in color for up to 12 hours and can work alone or over brow pencils without flaking or hardening.
La Roche-Posay Toleriane Teint Mousse ($30): Mattifying foundation for sensitive skin that minimizes the appearance of pores and covers blemishes. Helps control shine for long-lasting, matte skin.
La Roche-Posay Pingmentclar Serum ($52.99, Drugstores nationwide): The first dark spot treatment line targeting all stages of development for even, luminous skin with long lasting results. Formulated with a unique set of ingredients to target multiple stages of dark spot development. After 8 weeks of use, it provides a 39% reduction of visible dark spots with a long-term efficacy of up to three weeks after cessation of product application.
La Roche-Posay PigmentClar Eyes ($42.99, Drugstores nationwide): Did you know that the skin around the eyes is thinner than anywhere else on the body – about ten times thinner than the skin on the rest of the face – and is therefore more susceptible to damage? A daily dark circle eye cream that reduces the look of blue and brown dark circles for visibly brighter eyes. Contains phe-resorcinol (known for its targeted action on melanin), caffeine, and light reflective pigments to brighten and freshen the appearance of the under eye area. Unique cooling metal applicator and gentle melt-in texture suitable for even the sensitive eye area. Use as a daily eye care product to visibly reduce dark circles.
La Roche-Posay PigmentClar Deep Cleansing Brightening Foaming Cleanser ($24.99, Drugstores nationwide): With Pigmentclar Deep Cleansing Brightening Foaming Cream, an effective deep cleansing and brightening formula, the entire routine can deliver clear, smooth and younger-looking skin with minimal irritation and without high costs associated with in-office procedures. The rich, foaming texture rinses away easily, leaving behind a glowing, even complexion.
La Roche-Posay Anthelios AOX Daily Antioxidant Serum ($42.50, LaRoche-Posay.us/Drugstores Nationwide): This industry-first combines a potent antioxidant complex with La Roche Posay’s patented broad spectrum protection — a gold standard in the sun care arena. The result: The first anti-aging serum plus UVA/UVB protection in one, no layering necessary.
- Sanitize hands and nails.
- Start out with a square nail by clipping your nail straight across.
- Clip the uppermost portion of the two sides diagonally into a triangle.
- With a file, focus on curving the sides evenly to get a teardrop shape that softens the triangle.
- Whatever you do on one side, do on the other side. For example: If you do three files on one side, do three files on the other so that it looks symmetrical.
Are you one of the 75% of parents that has Halloween safety fear? 75%! Even though that number is incredibly high, only 33% of parents talk to their kids annually about Halloween. As Halloween approaches, Great Expressions Dental Centers (GEDC) wants to ensure the safest Halloween night ever by sharing a few tips with your readers.
In exchange for sharing the tips below, GEDC will send you a pair of vampire fangs, perfect to dress up any costume and a dental kit (toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash and floss), perfect for fighting spooky cavities after consuming too much candy.
4 Tips to Enjoy a Safe Halloween:
- Light up! The best way to avoid injuries is to ensure your children are visible to those around you. Only 18% of parents use reflective tape on their children’s Halloween costumes, even though it’s the best way to ensure this.
- The more the merrier! Only 12% of children five years of age or younger are permitted to trick-or-treat alone. The best way to ensure a safe Halloween is to get a group together and spend the evening with them, parents included. Safety in numbers.
- Refresh on general safety steps. Children are twice as likely to be killed by a car while walking on Halloween night than at any other time of the year. Remind your children to look both ways before crossing the street and to stick to walking on sidewalks as they bounce from house to house.
- Brush your teeth! Cavities are scary, too. Avoid sugary and chewy candies – especially those with caramel. Instead, select a few pieces of candy to eat in one sitting, rather than munching all day. This limits the amount of time that the sugar is around to help make cavities. No matter how many treats they consume, be sure they brush their teeth immediately following to prevent tooth decay and cavities.
Whether you choose a spooky or glam costume, one thing you can’t overlook is the glitter, makeup and messy aftermath that can haunt you long after Halloween season ends. No need to fear because we’ve pulled together the best makeup removers and skincare essentials to ensure you feel clean, refreshed and hydrated after all the fun festivities.
Cetaphil® Gentle Makeup Remover
This oil-free, bi-phase liquid effectively removes all types of makeup – even waterproof – which is more important than ever on Halloween! Cetaphil Gentle Makeup Remover uses silicone instead of oil as a main ingredient, so you achieve the same effective makeup removal without the greasy residue. It’s formulated with Aloe Vera, Ginseng, and Green Tea for a soothing, cleansing experience.
Makeup is an essential part of tying together the perfect Halloween costume, but wearing too much thick, costume makeup can often lead to clogged pores and acne. Differin Gel not only clears breakouts, but also prevents new acne from forming, which ultimately restores skin’s texture and tone.
Availability: Major retailers and drugstores nationwide
Price: $13.99 for .05 oz. (up to 30 day use) & $29.99 for 1.6 oz. (up to 90 day use)
Availability: Major retail, grocery, drug and discount stores nationwide and CVS.com, Drugstore.com, Amazon.com and Walgreens.com
Price: $8.99-$10.49 for 6 fl oz.
Elizabeth Arden Ceramide Replenishing Cleansing Oil
This multitasking cleanser is ideal for both removing makeup, even waterproof mascara and eyeliner, and dissolving impurities from skin, all while nourishing skin with essential lipids to leave it feeling clean, soft, and moisturized. It fuses the emollient, antioxidant and conditioning properties of Apricot, Safflower and Olive Oils to dissolve cosmetic debris and sebum, while helping to restore the skin’s barrier layer.
Availability: ElizabethArden.com, Macy’s
Dickinson’s Refreshingly Clean Cleansing Cloths
Containing botanical extracts of 100% all natural witch hazel & aloe, Dickinson’s Refreshingly Clean Cleansing Cloths help to cleanse, tone and refresh by gently lifting dirt, oil and impurities from even sensitive skin. Dickinson’s Original Witch Hazel formula delivers a refreshingly clean, balanced and blemish free complexion, every day, without over drying or leaving a sticky residue. With the power of witch hazel, these large cleansing cloths remove excess dirt, oil and makeup care-free.
Almay Makeup Remover + Cream Cleanser
Formulated with naturally derived and hypoallergenic Rice Milk, an ingredient trending in Korean skin care, Almay’s NEW Cream Cleanser effortlessly removes even waterproof & longwearing makeup, while cleansing in one simple step. For a luxurious, ultra-hydrating skincare experience, use this cleanser to remove all traces of makeup, dirt and oil that soap and water leave behind!
Availability: Drug, mass-market retailers nationwide and on Almay.com.
Cutex Ultra-Powerful Nail Polish Remover
Remove tough polishes, including glitters, gels and dark colors with NEW Cutex Ultra-Powerful Nail Polish Remover! The 98% acetone formula is infused with a patented oil blend to care for nails while removing polish. Infused with Apricot Seed Oil, this remover has high vitamin E content and skin softening properties, that helps to penetrate the skin without leaving an oily feel.
Revlon Brush & Sponge Daily Cleanser
Give brushes the tender love and care they deserve. Created to keep brushes and sponges clean, and working their best, this cleanser removes makeup buildup left behind from previous applications. Simply spray the edges of makeup tools with a few quick spritzes and use a cloth to dry and remove excess makeup. When used regularly, it works to keep beauty tools in tip top shape!
Availability: Drugstores and mass retailers nationwide
Simultaneously refined yet playful, the Stella Resin Choker radiates light effortlessly. Made from beautiful Italian resin, this necklace is sure
PONO by Joan Goodman
Stella Resin Choker
Now that summer is coming to an end you may notice dullness to your skin along with new wrinkles. You applied sunscreen, drank water and thought you did all the right things to maintain supple, glowing, hydrated skin through the summer months. However, air pollution, sweat, and residue from cosmetics take their toll. Luckily activated charcoal with its incredible ability to draw out impurities, is just what post summer skin needs. Offering us details on the benefits of charcoal, is Dr. Margarita Lolis, Board-Certified Dermatologist and member of the American Academy of Dermatology.
What’s important to understand is that activated charcoal is typical charcoal but it’s heated in a special way that helps with the absorption of liquids and toxins. It’s not the same charcoal used to barbecue hamburgers. Medical grade activated charcoal is often used in hospitals serving as an emergency remedy for poisonings. Activated charcoal has become a popular ingredient in beauty products because it does a great job going deep to draw out dirt, impurities deep in the pores.
“There are a lot of products on the market and a lot of easy recipes people can use to create at home masks. When used once or twice weekly, depending on skin type, you’ll see improvement to skin texture and appearance pretty quickly. Results are pretty fast when activated charcoal in powder form is used,” explains Dr. Lolis.
The good news is you have options. Over the last few years charcoal has gone mainstream. There are numerous products available on the market ranging from drugstore cleansers from brands like Neutrogena and even soaps for as little as $3.00 a bar. There are mid-range cleansers and masks with activated charcoal from Clinique and Origins for around $25-$35. Then there is the ultra-luxurious mask made with the very rare Kishu Binchotan Charcoal which comes from a rare tree found in a remote region in Japan. Tresor Rare’s Zumi Mask is $5000 making it the most expensive in the world boasting high performance skin detox.
Before adding charcoal to your beauty regimen, check out Dr. Lolis’ list of top skin benefits of activated charcoal.
1. Makes pores smaller- Summertime perspiration leads to pore expansion and enlargement. Activated charcoal helps pull out toxins and dirt from your pores to make them less visible. “The key here is you want to allow enough time for the charcoal to do its thing. Don’t scrub and be sure to rinse with lukewarm water, advises Dr. Lolis.”
2. Removes oil from skin- Activated charcoal has many properties that help balance and soak up the oil from your face. Dr. Lolis explains that due activated charcoal has a strong ability to vacuum up oil. “People with normal to dry skin should use charcoal it once or twice a week to avoid drying out your skin. People with oily skin can use a combination of an activated charcoal soap daily then a mask twice per week,” she says.
3. Exfoliates– This is where activated charcoal does wonders to improve skin texture. In addition to extracting oil and dirt, it removes dead skin from the skins surface explains Dr. Lolis. “You get the deep clean plus the surface clean when you use activated charcoal. It’s a one-two punch. If you’re not the type to get professional facials twice monthly, a face cleansing regimen with activated charcoal is a great at-home option to achieve that deeper clean.
4. Calms breakouts and removes acne scars – Those deep painful cystic pimples often lead to scarring and blemishes. Activated charcoal works to lighten acne scarring by lifting off the darkened dead skin. Given it is also rich in anti-inflammatory properties acne prone skin is soothed and future breakouts prevented. “For those who can’t afford laser or light therapy, or simply want an at home solution for acne charcoal will help fade scars over time. The key is to stick with it,” says Dr. Lolis.
5. Anti-Aging- “Whenever you are exfoliating the skin and accomplishing a deeper clean, wrinkles decrease and a supple skin rejuvenation occurs,” says Dr. Lolis. Women in their 30’s and 40’s who struggle with adult acne find activated charcoal helps with breakouts and overall skin texture and radiance. Aging skin tends to be dryer so it’s important to use charcoal on the oilier areas of our skin as opposed to everywhere,” she adds.
About the Doctor.
Dr. Margarita Lolis, M.D. is a board-certified cosmetic, medical dermatologist and a fellowship-trained Mohs surgeon with over 20 years of experience. In her practice, she addresses common skin concerns such as acne prevention and treatment in both teens and adults, sun-damage, skin discoloration, wrinkles, changes to skin texture and loss of volume. On the medical side, she is a trusted expert in melanoma and over-all skin health. Dr. Lolis prides herself in honoring facial symmetry to deliver a natural look to her clients. She always recommends a healthy skin care regimen plus lifestyle habits that are aligned with her holistic approach to beauty. Dr. Lolis is a member of the American Academy of Dermatology, American College of Mohs Surgery, and the American Society of Anti-aging. Her practice, Skin, Laser, and Surgery Specialists is in New York City and Bergen Country, New Jersey.